The digital marketing average salary is typically higher than most others’ jobs at the same experience levels. Digital marketing jobs’ salaries are also different for people working in different industries. However, before one discusses the digital marketing salary, it is first important to understand what it is and why people are opting to be digital marketers.
Why Digital Marketing?
Digital marketing has undergone tremendous change over the last few years thanks to the change in consumer behaviour. Millions of people have moved to online interactions. With more and more people gaining access to the internet and smartphone penetration in the population, most information is going digital.
Any business that is not online is missing out on a chunk of the business. All companies that want to make a difference are going online, this includes the Indian market as it does the world. Technology is changing every day and is impacting how businesses communicate and interact with their clients and potential customers.
Digital marketing is growing faster than traditional marketing and there are specific reasons for it. They include:
1. Equal exposure
- Unlike traditional marketing, digital marketing gives all brands and their product and services a level-playing field. Small and medium-sized businesses these days also have a voice that they can exercise online, unlike earlier when exposure was for the larger businesses.
Digital marketing solutions are typically cheaper because they hardly require any hard physical artefacts. Therefore, this enables organizations with smaller marketing budgets to also get their word out at low cost but high impact.
3. Focused Interaction
Digital marketing enables brands to interact with audiences on a one-on-one basis. It focuses on specific clients and even provides offers that are better suited to individuals. This helps customers connect better with the brand and increases their level of engagement.
4. Direct and Immediate Contact
As mobile devices are penetrating the world, with a majority of adults adapting to the mobile world, information reaches the target audience immediately. Giving them a call to action in the messaging also lets them act on it if they want to.
5. Brand Reputation
Digital marketing enables personalized messages down to the last audience member. This improves better recall for the audience as far as the brand is concerned. In today’s fast-paced world, the fact that brands take the time to address individuals provides a nice feeling to potential customers and improves online brand reputation.
6. Better Conversion Rates and Revenues
When your targeting and retargeting are more focused and data-driven, the conversation automatically improves because the messaging is more personal and enticing to the person. When conversion rates increase, this positively impacts the revenues.
Why Take Up a Career in Digital Marketing in India?
Given the widespread increase in digital marketing, there has been a consistent need and demand for digital marketing experts. The budget in this area has increased given the popularity of the digital space and its importance of it.
Most organizations are looking for creative and trained experts in the digital marketing space to help organizations with their needs. The job market for digital marketing jobs in India is booming as are digital marketing institutes. These institutes train students to adapt to the ever-changing and evolving world of digital marketing. They help them learn everything new and be market-ready and raring to go as professionals.
Some of the fields that people can get a career in include: video/audio production interactive technology (such as AI), marketing automation, search engine optimization (SEO), search engine marketing (SEM), email marketing, web design, and development, copywriting and editing, content management and curation, business/marketing strategy, analytics, mobile marketing and more.
Most people are taking this as an interesting career option after getting trained. Some of the more important reasons for digital marketing jobs being popular are:
Top Reasons Why Digital Marketing Jobs Are Popular in India
1. Easy way to start your career
You can kickstart your career with digital marketing seamlessly if you have the aptitude for it. Multiple institutes are sprouting across the world that are willing to give you training, help you get hands-on experience and then also help with placements to different organizations. Additionally, if you want to do it on your own, effectively learning to and marketing your resume can help you land a great job.
2. Get paid better
Digital marketing jobs are certainly lucrative in their own right. Many organizations are willing to go the extra mile to fund digital marketing employees because the outcome of a good digital marketing campaign directly impacts the profit. Therefore, even at an entry-level job, digital marketers already start with a higher paycheck as compared to their peers.
3. Showcase your creativity
There was a time when creativity was considered a niche field and only some people are “equipped” to handle it. As much as there was no truth to it, traditionally not enough resistance has happened towards it. Digital marketing opens up the creative space to anyone that can come up with ideas, and the effectiveness is measurable with data and profitability of the idea.
4. Learn multiple skills
Skill is an important aspect of any kind of work. Digital marketing skills are no different. Digital marketing is an emerging market and digital marketers can learn multiple skills as the world and technology evolve.
5. Career options
The great thing about digital marketing as a career choice is that there are multiple career options within this field. Though it is an employment opportunity in itself, there are multiple roles and responsibilities that you can get trained on and make that transition easily within the digital marketing industry. Career options can range from strategizing to content writing, to audio/video production to SEO, SMM management and more.
6. Options for all kinds of people
This career option is certainly for all kinds of people. Digital marketing careers are a dynamic sector with different disciplines. Whether a person is an introvert or an extrovert, there is a job option and a career for them. Extroverts can get into fields where they interact with audiences and end-users, while introverts can stay behind the desk and work on career options such as writing, designing and more.
Types of roles, responsibilities and their pay scales in digital marketing
As specified earlier multiple roles offer a great opportunity for people looking for a career in digital marketing. They are very profitable and highly remunerative opportunities that are not just interesting, but also flexible. As an emerging field, digital marketing is a space where people can learn new technologies, unlearn them and relearn a completely different thing because of technological advancements or updated processes.
Different organizations have different roles on offer and the organizations determine their roles and responsibilities and the salary and pay scales. This means, there is no one size fits all. However, here is a list of some of the roles, their potential responsibilities, and average pay scales:
Average Salary for Digital Marketing Manager
A Digital Marketing Manager role is a fairly high-paying job. Especially a digital marketing manager’s salary in India is higher in certain industries such as IT, digital marketing agencies, and other such industries that depend heavily on being online. This person must have experience and understanding of all kinds of digital marketing fields.
Roles and Responsibilities of Digital Marketing Manager
- Plan, organize and execute digital marketing campaigns.
- Manage social media campaigns including those that are organic and paid.
- Manage and come up with budgets on a monthly/quarterly basis.
- Measure performance on digital marketing platforms and analyze ROI and KPIs.
- Come up with and train reporters on best practices.
- Delegates work for the team.
- Get a good understanding of SEO, performance management, market trends and insights, targeting areas and optimum conversion ratio.
Digital Marketing Salary in India: Rs.4,00,000 – Rs.18,00,000 (4 – 8 years of experience)
Average Salary for Digital Marketing Executive
Digital Marketing Executives plan, develop, implement, and manage everything related to digital marketing strategies. They also monitor and train freshers and teams on the work and strategies involved.
Roles and Responsibilities Of Digital Marketing Executive
- Build, plan and implement the overall digital marketing strategy.
- Manage the strategy and digital marketing channels.
- Improve online content, and work towards better SEO and Google Analytics results.
- Conceptualize and ideate creative materials for campaigns.
- Train the team on the job and motivate them to achieve goals
- Be aware and use the latest technology and best practices.
- Measure ROI and KPIs and forecast sales and performance trends.
- Prepare and manage a digital marketing budget. Monitor competition and provide suggestions for improvement.
Average Digital Marketing Executive Salary in India: Rs.8,35,000 (5 – 9 years of experience) – (Source)
Average Salary for Digital Marketing Freshers
Digital marketing freshers take care of the actual implementation of the strategy that has been devised by their seniors. As a digital marketing fresher one of the main goals is to absorb maximum information on the job and ensure the strategies are implemented correctly.
Roles and Responsibilities Of Digital Marketing Freshers
- Implement a digital marketing strategy.
- Help manage the strategy and the different digital marketing channels.
- Improve online content.
- Get trained on the latest technology.
- Create infographics and other creative materials.
- Follow best practices.
- Monitor competition and provide suggestions for improvement.
Average digital marketing salary for freshers in India: Rs.3,67,503 (1 – 4 years of experience) – (Source)
Average Salary for Digital Marketing Specialist
As the name suggests these are the experts that know the in and out of the digital marketing campaigns within an organization. They not only study data, but also make sure that communication through digital marketing aligns with what the brand tries to communicate.
Roles and Responsibilities of Digital Marketing Specialist
- Analyze marketing data both current and past.
- Determine the overall marketing strategy.
- Ensure marketing ideas align with the brand’s mission and vision.
- Explore and work on increasing consumer demand.
- Help write marketing materials including email marketing content.
- Be part of strategizing plans, recommendations and presentations.
Average Digital Marketing Specialist Salary in India: Rs.4,86,053 – (Source)
Average Salary for Digital Marketing Analyst
Analyzing is an important part of figuring out if a digital marketing campaign worked. Digital marketing analysts, therefore, play an important role in organizations. They conduct post-mortems of campaigns and provide the right kind of suggestions. The study data and steer the investment towards success.
Roles and Responsibilities Of Digital Marketing Analyst
- Conduct marketing program, business, and trend analysis.
- Use predictive statistics, data analysis, and customer profiling.
- Work with internal and external teams to come up with strategies to present to the client.
- Recommend new initiatives, and generate sales forecasts with extensive research.
- Enhance performance by developing metrics and strategies that work and are tested.
Average Digital Marketing Analyst Salary in India: of Rs.4,34,245 – (Source)
The average salary for Pay Per Click Analyst
The Pay Per Click (PPC) Analyst role is also called Search Engine Marketing (SEM) Analyst in some organizations. It is a job that converts investments to greater profits.
Roles and Responsibilities of Pay Per Click Analyst
- Have good technical analytics skills and knowledge of analytics tools like Google Analytics.
- Responsible for managing Paid Ad Campaigns. These are managed on Google Ads, and other ad networks.
- Maintain keyword bids, monitor daily and monthly budget and improve quality score.
- Manage advertisement campaigns on social media networks like Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn.
Pay Per Click Analyst Salary in India: Rs.2,50,000 (1 year of experience)
Average Salary for SEO Specialist
Search Engine Optimization helps bring in sustainable, long-term and high converting traffic. An SEO specialist brings that expertise to the organization. An SEO Specialist Salary depends on a person’s experience and knowledge. An SEO Salary in India depends on a person’s experience, expertise, Geographical Location, and knowledge.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Understand ranking algorithms with proficiency in Technical SEO.
- Improve user experience, identify keywords, and create content with keywords.
- Familiarize and comply with Search Engine Guidelines.
- Gain knowledge and use optimization tools such as Search Console, Similarweb, SEMRush, and Ahrefs.
- Use analytical tools such as Google Analytics, Omniture or Comscore for performance measurement.
SEO Specialist Salary in India: Rs.2,20,000 (1 – 2 years of experience)
It can grow up to Rs.8,00,000 for managerial levels.
SEO Interns can be paid about Rs.15,000 per month
Average Salary for Social Media Marketing Specialist
Organizations need a strong social media strategy because a lot of their potential clientele are online on social media. This is where SMM experts come into play. They increase presence and increase engagement with their customer.
Roles and Responsibilities Of Social Media Marketing Specialist
- Curate engaging content that is relevant to the audience and stays online to dialogue with customers and answer queries raised online.
- Design, create and execute campaigns on different social media networks. This includes networks like Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram and so on.
- Create and implement strategies to get customer feedback in the form of online reviews and ratings.
- Gain knowledge of social media tools like Hootsuite, Buffer, Buzzsumo and more.
- Monitor trends online including social media, applications, channels, design, and strategy.
SMM Specialist Salary in India: Rs.1,50,000 – Rs.3,50,000 (0 – 3 years of experience)
Social Media Marketing Specialist salary in India: Rs.5,60,000 – Rs.10,00,000 depending on experience and expertise.
Average Salary for Content Marketing (Head, Manager, Executive)
Content is king online and it comes in many forms including copywriting, blog posts, videos, podcasts, visuals and graphics, campaigns, email, newsletters, and more. Pretty much any conversation that is sent out from the organization is provided under the gamut of content marketing.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Create and promote content online including content for websites, blogs, copy, and all communication.
- Improve brand awareness, and brand consistency, increase web traffic and enhance conversion goals.
- Make sure of customer engagement, and positive customer experience.
- Manage content on all social media platforms and online channels to increase web traffic.
Content Marketing Executive Salary in India: Rs.2,00,000 – Rs.4,00,000 (0 – 3 years of experience)
It can grow up to Rs.5,00,000 for managerial levels.
Average Content Marketing Manager Salary in India: Rs.6,50,000
Content Marketing Head Salary in India: Rs.10,00,000 to Rs.20,00,000 (over 8 years of experience)
All this said and done, some things will ensure job satisfaction even more than just the obvious reason for your take home. Digital marketing brings a lot more benefits than what meets the eye. It lets you be creative, it lets you learn something new every day, and helps you grow as a person. Finally, a digital marketing career does not let you watch the world change from the side; instead, it lets you impact how the world changes, it lets you be the change.