Fortunately enough, 2020 has come to an end.
But in a Digital Marketer’s perspective, it has been a year filled with innovative, competitive, and amazing updates and trends.
December was no different. From YouTube’s new Shorts icon, Instagram’s 3-guest Live stream, to Facebook’s option to share Reels and Twitter’s common highlight feature, December was filled with interesting updates.
Here is the entire list of New Things In Digital Marketing in the month of December.
In case you missed last month’s list of #NewThingsInDigital click here to read.
List of the top 22 latest digital marketing updates in December 2020
1. Instagram allows up to three guests in live-streams in India
Instagram has increased the number of participants to encourage hosts to curate larger chats and maximise engagement.
2. Facebook adds new tools for automotive advertisers
The platform has added three new elements to its automotive promotion tools:
- A new “Manage Inventory” tab on dealership Pages
- A simplified set-up process for Automotive Inventory Ads (AIA)
- A new “Vehicles” tab on dealership Pages where dealers can showcase their full vehicle inventory
3. Twitter adds Physical Security Keys to strengthen two-factor authentication
This will enable everyone to use physical security keys to log in to Twitter via iOS and Android. Twitter’s Web Authorisation facilitates additional account security for users through the use of devices like security keys, mobile phones, and TouchID.
4. Google rolls out December 2020 Core Update
Google announced it is rolling out a new core update, the December 2020 core update.
5. Google expands local business message & map query analytics
Messaging is being expanded so consumers can message with businesses in more ways. Business owners will be able to see more local maps, insights and analytics to understand how customers are finding them on Google.
6. Google testing star icon within a grey circle in the Search result
As Google announced earlier, they will start testing a visual indicator in the search results for the upcoming Google Page Experience Update. It seems they have started testing it in the form of a star within a grey circle.
7. Google My Business testing a new layout for “Suggest an Edit”
The Suggest an Edit feature on Google My Business saw a couple of changes, with a change in mobile view last week. In addition to this, GMB has now included explanatory options under ‘Suggest an Edit’.
8. Instagram adds Shopping tags to Reels
The option enables users to add product listings to their Reels, stepping up Instagram’s eCommerce game. This is a great way for creators to make money through their Reels clips.
9. WhatsApp adds ‘Carts’ to further push Shopping within the app
WhatsApp has now added ‘Carts’, which will enable users to add items during a conversation with a business account and submit a larger order at the end of it, via the app.
10. Instagram tests timers on Stories to boost engagement
Though there’s more clarity needed on how exactly this concept would work, it could anyways prompt more people to view stories, as it taps the fear of missing out element in the minds of the users.
11. Facebook tests Content Calendar for Instagram on Creator Studio
The calendar displays a listing of all of your Instagram posts, with separate icons for single image updates, carousels and more. This will make it easier for you to map out your Instagram strategy, with the availability of the option of scheduling posts and IGTV videos for up to six months.
12. Twitter lets users share tweets to Snapchat Stories, with Instagram coming soon
Snapchat users can now share tweets from Twitter directly to their Snapchat story. This eliminates the need to take screenshots of tweets in order to share them. That’s not all; the app has also announced an integration with Instagram that’s on the way!
13. Google Web Stories ads now available via Display Network
Google is launching programmatic ad buying for Web Stories in open beta. Until now, Story Ads could only be sold directly by publishers via Google Ad Manager.
14. Google Local Reviews test ‘NEW’ label
This makes it easier for users to identify and judge the quality of the product at the moment. Reviews posted under 3 weeks is only considered new.
15. Google is testing a new look for the Q&A carousel on Google Search results page
Google has launched a new look for its question and answers carousel. This is when you add Q&A structured data to your pages, and Google can show rich results in the search results.
16. Google Search Console brings back request indexing tool
Google has re-enabled the request indexing tool within the URL Inspection tool in Google Search Console.
17. Google confirms passage indexing is not yet live
Google’s Danny Sullivan has confirmed with us that Google has not yet rolled out passage indexing.
18. Bing Webmaster Tools adds Microsoft Clarity integration
There is a new section in Bing Webmaster Tools named “Microsoft Clarity Beta” and there you can quickly go through the steps to set up Microsoft Clarity for your website.
19. Google tests new ‘People Also Search For’ location
It is using the filter bubble design with the title ‘People also search for’.
20. Google search streams 3D content in Search on Android devices
Android users can now stream 3D content in Search.
22. Google tests new types of Search result category buttons
Google is now testing the button in other colors, including orange, grey, and more, along with different shapes like square and oval.